PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'll never fly a LCC because...
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2009, 06:30
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I earn about AU$120 000 depending on the exchange rate, most of which is take home because of low income tax. This is the type of money airlines here have to pay to attract suitable people. There is no union agreement it's simply what we are worth at the moment. If they don't pay it, pilots will leave and the aircraft will sit on the ground. At the moment it's an employers market so we're not in a position to ask for more, however once things pick up again pay will need to go up or there will be a mass exodus.

My job is more secure because the unions are in no position to hold the company to ransom with unrealistic demands from people who could easily be replaced.

I could learn very quickly how to load a bag into the hold, or pass a drink to a passenger. How long for a loader or flight attendent to pilot an airliner ?

Airline pilots are an elite and our conditions should reflect this. We should be paid considerably more than flight attendents and loaders.

That's the trouble with Australia not having a proper class system, everyone thinks they're equal where as over here skilled people are respected and rewarded.

Last edited by Metro man; 31st Oct 2009 at 07:03.