PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'll never fly a LCC because...
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2009, 04:31
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Senior F/A, Cabin Manager with allowances wouldn't have been too far shy of that figure towards the end of the decade.

Unfortunately we are in a race to the bottom regarding airline staff pay and conditions. I would love to have been an airline pilot during the 1970s, then it was a top job. Paid training, mega salaries, easy life with 5* hotel night stops, reasonable monthly hours, good benefits and a nice pension.

Today the pay is reasonably good but the training is at your own expense and the benefits and pension fast disappearing. Flight time limitations are now targets. In another 10-20 years what used to be standard airline conditions will the exception. Just ask the Cathay pilots today to compare their terms to the old "A" scalers.

I need my job in order to pay the morgage, buy food and give me a reasonable lifestyle. In return for this I expect to work and be paid in accordance with my skills and experience. If you want to sit in my seat it's likely to cost you $100 000 IF you are capable of doing it.

My job only lasts as long as my employer makes money. My employer doesn't make money when forced to pay certain people more than they are worth and suffer the cost of their unrealistic work practices, all backed up by the union. Especially when the competition don't have this problem.

BTW Not many airlines are making money at the moment, Air India and Japan Airlines are both looking for bail outs. Those left standing will be the ones with sufficient reserves built up to ride out his down turn (Ryan Air) or government backing (QATAR)