PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University Air Squadrons
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2009, 23:33
Anonystude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a recent product of both the 'old' (EFT at UAS) and 'new' (post-Marston report) UAS world, I'll chuck in my tuppence worth...

Yes, it's a shame they've cut the flying. However, the cut tends to be more in beancounter terms than actual student flying -- of the people left when I graduated, probably upwards of 25% (60%+ in the higher years) have the 'new' PFB (roughly half of the EFT syllabus). Many of those have completed the 'expansion packages' or whatever they're called that bring their experience up to that of a completed EFT student. The flying rate of individual students certainly didn't change that much; there were enough Medics/Engineers not flying to give the rest of us all the flying we could hack (or desire!).

Some who have entered flying training (both RAF and RN, and one AAC) in my cohort, or in the years following, have well over 100 hours of Tutor experience. Is it fair? Probably not. Do I think that's a problem? Not really. Most of the DE aircrew I've been working with have performed just as well as the ex-UAS grads.

However, the UAS system changed (I believe) to reflect the changes in the 'real' RAF: the rise of Force Development and all the associated buzzword bingo to go with it being but one example. Whereas before UAS expeds were set with twin aims (getting drunk in foreign parts and having a bloody good time, whilst actually learning something about yourself, leadership and teamwork almost in passing), they now have to meet the whims of 'FD' and 'AT' (and now instead of drinking in bars various you get treated to evenings of IOT-style 'reviews' and 'Action Plans' and other such). Whilst this is a shame, I'll admit, it does produce 'officer cadets' who fit in better with the ideas and ethos of the modern RAF rather than the proto-aircrew wannabes that the UASs of old produced to terrorise the Flt Cdrs at DIOT/OACTU.

The new UAS system is still bloody brilliant (or it was when I left three years ago). Certainly, the flying isn't the same as the heyday pre-1992 or whenever it was that EFT on UAS arrived. It is, however, still rigorous flying training to the same standards as far as my experience recalls (admittedly, not that far). I know for a fact it stood me in good stead for my own flying training, and that view is shared by those I keep in contact with. This question of who QFIs is, in my view, a red herring: I had the priviledge to fly with some amazingly experienced and talented 'AEF' pilots (from whom I learned a hell of a lot); I also flew with some new B2 Tutor QFIs who would occasionally ask the more experienced studes for flying tips...

By the way...

If someone can manage 6.7 x the allotted hours, or about 2 x the allotted hours even in 'traditional' UAS days, one wonders what sort of a degree course he/she was doing.
That looks pretty close (if not identical) to the number of hours I flew in my second year (the first under the 'new' system): I got a first in Aeronautical Engineering from a certain well-known university... your point?