PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University Air Squadrons
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2009, 20:24
Wholigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However if I was a student in a UAS I'd be pretty disappointed if I never got to fly.

I only know about one UAS, never having been a UAS student myself. The guys and gals are first class people and most try their utmost to fit in and to achieve the best they can in their chosen way.

I am sure you are right those of you that say that UASs aren't what they used to be. But, even in my short time (9 years) in contact with this one, I have seen the goalposts moved quite drastically twice, and on both occasions for reasons that I can understand.

The first time was when it was decided that all EFT was to be conducted on UASs and that the old EFTs would close. I know the person who was ultimately responsible for the implementation of this decision, and I also know why he decided what he did. UASs were under dire and real threat from the purse-string holders axe, and the only way at the time to solve the problem was to be able to say "you can't cut UASs because they are an integral part of our flying training system and without them we would not be able to train our pilots". As they are still with us I can only assume that it worked! (It does make me wonder though whether the current system will now come under the same or worse threat in today's current climate of 'must make savings in defence'.)

The second time was when 'a study' recommended that the previous decision be reversed, but reversed without the funding being available to reinstate the old system as it was in its entirety. Therefore, some major policy changes had to be made to save money.

The money saving method chosen was to result in a major change of emphasis on how the UASs were to be run. No longer was the prime raison d'etre to be flying training. There was to be more emphasis on Sports, Charity, Social, Adventurous Training, Force Development, OASC Preparation, etc (as has already been stated).

Flying was still to be available, but this was also to have a change of emphasis. Now, instead of 'flying training' being available solely to those who 'intended' to join the RAF as aircrew, flying is now available to all who wish to take up the opportunity to fly.

In order to make this available to all and to stay within the budgetary constraints, the core staffing of UASs was changed. Now the baseline 'standard' staffing is a boss and a deputy OC (basically the old CFI post). The remaining requirement for instructors is achieved by the OC of the AEF being a QFI (now a mandatory requirement for holding the post), and a number of AEF pilots who are experienced 'basic' QFIs renewing their cat and instructing 'part-time'. Some of these 'part-timers' put as much time and effort into their instructing on the UAS as I have seen in the past from one or two full-time QFIs on the 'old system', but that is primarily a function of individual personalities.

Given aircraft availability and weather being suitable, I have not known a UAS student/cadet who wanted to fly not being able to. Incidentally, each student has the choice of whether he or she wants to follow the formal training syllabus or just fly 'AEF' type sorties just for the experience of flying. It is possible for them to start in one of those streams and subsequently change over to the other stream. If they find that their degree is placing too much pressure on them for them to devote enough time to following the formal syllabus, they can change to AEF flying. If - on the other hand - they get to a stage of their degree course where they find they can devote more time they can change from AEF to the formal syllabus. Needless to say, there are some who have the decision of which stream they will follow made for them!

Also, each of the UAS members is entitled to 10 hours a year, regardless of intended trade/branch etc and even regardless of whether they indicate that they may or may not intend to join the RAF in due course. For this the UAS has a 'bucket of hours' which is based on that 10 hours per member. If some people are not interested in taking up the offer of flying or they are too busy for a time with their degree course, then those hours are available - for those who are interested - to fly more than this allocated number of hours. It may be just rumour control (but considering who told me I doubt it) I think the best achieved so far (not on our UAS) was 67 hours in the first year!

As far as the 'drinking culture' is concerned, of course they drink. But on the UAS I know, there is now no formal bar available at town nights. The bar is stocked and opened specifically for functions and - yes guess what - they drink at those functions. What a surprise! I bet that whoever said there is more drinking and a worse 'drinking culture' at some of the other university clubs is very close to being right.

As far as 'are they worth keeping' is concerned, I'm afraid that my vote is quite definitely for 'yes they are'. In my past (coming up to) 46 years in the RAF, I have met people all over the world who have a very fond memory of their time with the UAS. Many of these people (who did not join the RAF) are in positions of considerable 'influence' and have a warm and fuzzy feeling of how valuable the RAF was, is and will be. This can do no harm and is immeasurable in terms of the cost-effectiveness/value of UASs.

So that's my few 'facts' and - yes - I am an 'old fart cold war warrior' whose views you can dismiss if you wish, but I know what I see on a daily basis and what I believe about the value of UASs, whatever form they take and whatever 'flying training' they give.