PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2009, 16:11
Mintflavour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will then.
My back ground is been through the system, completed 6 months line training and back into the hold pool, temping jobs and on the doll..... and all that
Generally mixed feelings about the news letter. Balpa took the words out of my mouth as they were similar questions I was beginning to ask, but CTC never really give a full answer when you email them, which is a shame as that just makes me loose more confidence.

The news letter was very positive and gave some feel good factor about the long term future as I believe much of it is true.

On the other hand I feel it was written to much towards 'the students are there No.1 and only priority'. Now I don't know how the business operates financially with the airlines, but the way we are handled at the moment, for example fresh cadets have priority over those that already have completed line experience but unfortunately let go by the airline, is not only beneficial to the airline but I would also suspect to CTC as well.
Which is fair enough, as CTC is a business as well as a training organisation, and in order to survive this down turn they need to balance business needs along with there training services. I wish they would just be more open about this.

With regards to cadets being taken on as cheap labour and let go or words to that affect. I feel CTC are one of many players that is allowing this to happen, even though CTC pass the buck by saying "but it is what the airlines are demanding". This is why I think it is one of CTC's business needs to do this as well in order to survive. CTC have much more clout about them than they are willing or relise to use to face the airlines and say "no this are not good terms and conditions".

However CTC did say that they are now in discussions with EJ to try and help career progression. But then this was contradicted by saying that other airlines will soon be following suit for this cheap labour option. Well why not discuss with them with what you are discussing with EJ as well?

Seniority.
Well no one is asking CTC to stop training people. But I do not believe it is right for fresh Cadets to take new positions while others with experience in the hold pool are on the doll.
CTC mentioned it wasn’t right for fresh cadets to finish training then get cold on the doll etc before getting a job. Well this does not differ much from completing your training and line training for 6 months then applying for the doll, getting cold. I completed line training and now I’m getting very cold and feel that all my confidence is gone from flying the aircraft without redoing a lot of training again, just like the chap mentioned in the balpa mag, which is a point CTC seem to miss. Further,CTC mentioned it was done like this so we had more to put on our CV for potential jobs..........What potential jobs, so whats the point?

Therefore I think if you are let go after line training you should then be at the top of the pile for any position over fresh cadets to allow those who joined CTC first to progress there career first. Just like in the normal world. Those with experience got the job. I would much rather complete my training, wait years is necessary then start my career. Not finish training wait for an airline position, then do 6 months line training, then finish back on to the doll, then wait another year to start my career......... this is not stability.

It is now possible for cadets to undercut us with line experience, then by chance, some will be offered permanent jobs straight away, while us unlucky ones will remain in the hold pool for 1…..2…..3… or so years.

As CTC said they do not make us go to any airline, we can turn down offers if they are unsuitable ie Middle east airlines and far east and then the next person inline get s offered itwhich is good. As some of us have circumstances that do not allow us to move abroard, and if that means I have to wait longer then so be it.

Again with regards to cheap labour, Balpa accused this is reducing flght safety. I agree with CTC's defence, but I also appreciate the view that training captains are having more continuous pressure and therefore fatigue may set in and we all know what happens then. But it was wrong for the Balpa or who ever wrote this, to relate this with the tail scrape at monarch incident. This can happen to anyone!

CTC is still a great scheme, I just don't agree with the way somethings have been handled over the last 18 months.

If I think of any more points I will add them later.

This is my view only. I am not slagging anyone off

Love to hear your views to.

Mint

Last edited by Mintflavour; 30th Oct 2009 at 18:01. Reason: Improved English & added text