PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2009, 11:06
one post only!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wondered for a while whether to post this or not for fear of sparking a “the industry is doomed” versus “no it’s the best time to train debate” but sod it here goes.

CTC have recently asked for volunteers to go along and help at the recruitment days they are soon to be running at universities. They have always liked someone stood there adorned in stripes to help “wow” the future recruits to join the scheme.

My question to those going (or those who volunteered to go but weren’t picked) is what are (were) you going to say? Are you going to be brutally honest about what’s happening now or sugar coat it?

I have to be slightly honest when I got the email as I am free and near one of the uni’s I thought I might go along and tell people exactly what is happening at the moment so they get a clear, bias free picture and can make their decision armed with a few facts. I decided against it as I don’t want to get involved! What did amaze me is that this time round they had so many people volunteering to go that they are going to just pick a few. For previous drives they have struggled to get one or two. I guess it speaks volumes about the number of cadets sat waiting in the growing hold pool.

In a time when cadets are not getting taken on, those that are, are on flexi contracts being sent round Europe to bases with a just get there and sort yourself out approach. Do 6 months (maybe) in the UK, then we will send you abroad for a bit, then somewhere else if you are lucky etc. Or a 6 month on, 6months off contract in the UK for some airlines. When in Europe for a few months you have to provide your own accommodation, transport, pay your loan etc all at short notice with no idea where you will be next, if you will be kept on and how much you will be earning. The internal CTC forum has a couple of threads where cadets are openly talking about looking at going bankrupt as loan repayments spiral out of control.

If asked by future candidates will you discuss this? Will you give people all the information to allow them to plan accordingly for when they complete training?

I still think you have a far better chance with CTC than going it alone but I didn’t want to go and help recruit as I would feel guilty reading the CTC forum in 18 months time as these people are on there asking those who have gone bankrupt before how they do it! As I can’t say for a FACT to people looking to start that they will get a permanent job in a few years I don’t want to help recruit. Not when so much of your own money is now involved.

Can you honestly look someone in the eye and tell them it’s PROBABLY going to work out and to put their parent’s house on the line?

To be honest I think it’s slightly immoral of CTC to get past graduates involved with things the way they are.

Please don’t take this as me knocking the scheme, just sometimes the spin the “scheme” puts out.

I just really feel for the guys at the moment I see going through it all. It’s not easy for them. I wish I could help. I can’t. Therefore I will absolutely not help encourage more people into their situation.