PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot criticised over Puma crash
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2009, 04:12
SafetyCase

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safetycase, what is the relevence of the opinion of "The International Federation of Air Line Pilots’ Associations (IFALPA)" or what the "international principles set down in ICAO Annex 13" may say? This comes under military aviation not civil and, as Dantruck says, there is a public interest - they paid for the helicopter & the pilot
You are right, this was a military accident and the civilian rules do not apply. The military is probably very competent in investigating accidents, but it leaves a lot to be desired on how to deal with the press and the public.
To stray off track for a moment: when I attended the accident investigation course at the University of Southern California a while back, one of my fellow students was from the British Armed Forces

The policy (or opinion as you say) of the IFALPA is designed to prevent re-occurrence of accidents, same as ICAO.
There are public interests in civilian accidents too, people have paid money for tickets, and oil companies have paid large sums of money for operators to transport their employees to their workplaces. You and I are paying for that in the end, when filling up our cars or motorbikes.
However, in the civilian world, most have recognized the importance of information protection, in order not to stop the flow of crucial safety information from pilots, engineers etc. Without that flow, safety will be compromised. There are very valid reasons why some states and companies have a confidential reporting system, and that FDM data is de-identified.

Last edited by SafetyCase; 30th Oct 2009 at 04:56.