PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Men Who Killed Qantas
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2009, 01:10
KRUSTY 34

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks noip, I guess we'll have to agree to dissagree on some points.

As I said, the decision to continue with the landing after the go-around was commenced, was manifestly wrong. I'd be surprised if the QF ops manual didn't have some guidelines on that. I know mine does! But it happened. Experienced people are still capable of poor decisions, and there for the grace of God go us all! However, if the F/O had been told to land rather than having the Captain physically placing his hands on the thrust levers, then The F/O may very well have ignored this order and continued with the correct course of action. Who knows?

With regard to your assertion that someone of the Captain's standing could not have a previously routine procedure trained out of them, well I simply don't buy that also. QF had adopted this procedure for some years before it caught up with them. Plenty of time for it to sink in. Also the Capt was trained on the 744 exclusively using this method of operation.

The Captain may have been a highly respected and experienced Training Captain (previously on the 767 if my info is correct), but he is still human, and when faced with a "sudden" crisis, in this case the need for full reverse, Human beings usually revert to what they are most familiar with.

So, I actually think the Author has got this right. Ultimately a decision made years previously to introduce an SOP, by people without a clue to the dynamics of human factors in the cockpit. IMHO, a bad decision made in the heat of the moment followed by a flawed SOP!