PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astraeus A320 Contracts
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2009, 20:44
aztruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Ok. Jobs for life. They dont exist anymore, although there was a fiction that they once did, along with gold plated pensions, seniority schemes and subsidised staff canteens.
Even the Civil service is about to get its comeuppance, about time seeing as it is subsidised by every other poor wretch that pays outrageous levels of UK tax.
85k a year for an airline Captain seems fair. 100k starts to become a bit daft, though if someone was daft enough to offer ......
Extra qualifications garner more dosh, TRI, TRE, line trainer etc etc just as it should be.
Yes some folk pay more, and seniority often creates ludicrous differentials, akin to those NHS consultants who turn up twice a month in return for vast salaries, swan off in their Bentleys, leaving the Junior doctors to drown in a sea of casualties.
Astraeus is not a seniority based airline, which system is now in any case indefensible under EU law.

When we had a TRTO along the lines that you so disparage, it ran smoothly and provided a steady stream of Pilots to ourselves and many other airlines, most of whom are Captains by now.
When the upturn comes, I'm sure there will be upward pressure on wages, especially for experienced Pilots, and we shall see how many leave to take more money or the perception of a better lifestyle or prestige in working for a Flag carrier.
I'm sure some will, but then again, I'm sure some will see the positive side of staying with Astraeus.
Meantime, more Pilots, more cabin crew, and more aircraft