PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2007 Puma Crash, Enquiry and Inquest (Merged)
Old 29th Oct 2009, 19:36
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jayteeto

I confined my remarks to the SH Force because that is what the thread is about; moreover SH crews work intensively and independently at low level whilst carrying Pax far more than other Branches of the Service.

What was revealed by the CVR in this instance was a level of disregard in respect of SOP's, GASO's, STCASI's and MODFO's which was truly staggering. What I find equally - if not more - disturbing is the number of contributors to this thread who tacitly admit that they too have indulged in such antics or relate "There but for the grace of God etc" anecdotes.

During WW2 Bomber Command lost 47,268 Aircrew on Operations; in addition a further 8,305 Aircrew were lost on Training Sorties - a total of 55,573 killed. Thus in the middle of a "War for Civilisation" 15% of Bomber Aircrew casualties were due to avoidable "Accidents".

The "Rules" which some see as attempting to curtail their fun are in place because a long history of tragedies has shown the need for such "Rules".