PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University Air Squadrons
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2009, 17:24
Lyco360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An informed, in depth review of the RAF based on second hand information gleamed from some friend's kids from when they went to a University Air Squadron! Top quality cafe gossip!

Maybe I can recognise the caricature of the Air Squadron I went to there. Its certainly a long way from the true nature of the squadron. There was a lot of drinking, but not to same level of excess of the sports clubs. There was a bit of pressure, nothing that couldn't be coped with!

A great deal of time and effort went into the squadron by the students as well as the Officers. There was a group of students closer to the heart of the squadron, including the APOs. They were in those positions generally due to getting stuck in more than the rest. No favouritism was attached to anyone when it came to assigning opportunities, be it flying or on expeds.

The flying training on the UAS is excellent, as is the equipment. Having paid top dollar at one of the best professional civilian FTOs: it doesn't compare to what was available in the UAS. Similarly the other opportunities available to Officer Cadets are far beyond what any of the non-forces university organisations can offer.

Most of the students in the intakes around my time went on to at least OASC. Everyone, to my knowledge, who got offered a place took it. A few ended up at Sandhurst, Dartmouth or the MoD. Two or three ended up in the Airlines. I don't think many of those that disappeared elsewhere were a great loss to the system!

I'm pretty sure that things were much the same in the lesser, provincial, squadrons that existed too!