PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2007 Puma Crash, Enquiry and Inquest (Merged)
Old 28th Oct 2009, 23:30
PTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA - Norman Dixon's "On the Psychology of Military Incomeptence". Chapter 8 (if I recall correctly) entitled "Bull****". Read it.
What is basic to military life is fighting and, ideally, winning wars. Pomp, ceremony, shiny boots and painted gate guards do not in any way assist this, and Mr Dixon explains very well why some people see those things as more important than what actually is important, and why such thinking loses lives and wars.
I'm terribly sorry you were ashamed of the state of Benson when you took your family along to see your old squadron. Maybe you could pop along and spruce it up a bit?

Reference your plan for the Stn Cdr at Benson to turn up in the manner you described, I have two words: sound bite. He got a small slot on TV and there is no way that the actions you suggest would come across correctly after editting. Were they paper journos then it might work, but not for TV.

On topic: I shall forego judgement on the actions of the crew until after the BOI.