PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Next Financial crash looming?
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2009, 15:51
jonathon68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HK Property is making little sense to me unless you are buying a place to live in, and/or CX (or KA etc) is paying the mortgage. I currently do have a rental property in HKG which I plan to offload in the next 12 months. I can make a better return elsewhere.

My focus is three-fold.

1. Foreign currencies. Against the USD/HKD, the Korean won and Indo rup are looking good, maybe 7% and 5% respectively over the next 6 months. I am still holding AUD and hoping for a further boost on parity with the USD and AUD interest rate rises in the short term. (I am up 27% ytd on my FCY account based on an AUD/NZD/CAD/EUR/GBP spread)

2. Equities. Downside for the HSI is looking to be about 21.5k with an upside of 24k by early next year. I am buying on down-days and selling on up-days for short term gains. (I am up 29% this year on the HSI, despite having lost my nerve and sold out -for a while- in May/June 09) For the medium term buying A shares through QFII funds seems to be the next step.

3. Commodities. Mining stocks such as Zijin mining etc look good as a buy on down-days, or buying gold at the gold market (if you can transport and store the stuff!).

Hedge your bets, and spread risk. Set your profit and loss targets and exercise those trades.

Edited for speeling.