PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 28th Oct 2009, 15:41
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Here, buried deep, is the possible flaw in Mr H-C's cunning plan:

Independent MAA but part of MOD

21.15 In my view, it is important that the MAA is independent but remains part of the MOD. There is a logical

argument which can be made for the MAA to be entirely separate from the MOD so that it can provide a
totally independent voice untrammelled by financial or political pressures. Given the failings identified in this
Report, I see force in this argument.
21.16 However, the military element adds an entirely different dimension to the picture. The MOD has the
responsibility for delivering a certain military capability and balancing risk with task. A military organisation
must be ‘risk sensible’ but not too ‘risk averse’. The MAA must understand and appreciate operational
relevance and, importantly, be seen by military operators to understand and appreciate this, if it is to enjoy
their confidence. In my view, it would not be sensible or practicable to position the MAA legally and physically
outside the MOD. Sufficient independence will be assured by having: (a) the MAA working direct for 2

nd PUS;

(b) a high-ranking 3-Star officer as Head of the MAA; (c) full time MAA Regulators who do not have other
potentially conflicting responsibilities,

i.e. do not have responsibilities for delivery which give rise to potential

conflicts of interest; (d) clear Regulations which spell out different roles and responsibilities and assure the
MAA’s independence and immunity; and (e) stronger links with the CAA and HSE, including non-executives
from such organisations sitting on an MAA board with an express responsibility to watch for, and report
annually, on the MAA’s independence from financial, political and operational pressures.

So the MAA will be independent of the MOD and yet a part of it. A Humphreyism if ever there were one. A bit like the "separate but equal" status of non-whites in Apartheid South Africa. The question I have of Mr Haddon-Cave is; "How will your arrangements prevent the RTS of a known unairworthy aircraft over the objections of Boscombe Down, as was the case with the Chinook HC Mk2?"