PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 28th Oct 2009, 14:56
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h..._09_nimrod.pdf
Dont press print unless you've got a lot of paper...

Just watched the press statement live on Sky Telly news.

My guess is it sounds like HC is expecting an SRG 'type' of accountability and overview system to be established. See CH21 in report

21.1 The purpose of the Recommendations in this Chapter is to provide a blueprint to enable the MOD to develop a clear, coherent, comprehensive and comprehensible pan-MOD Military Airworthiness Regime to which everyone in the organisation can subscribe, which adopts elements of the Civil Model where there is self-evident benefit, and which demonstrably addresses Risk to Life without compromising capability, and which drives new attitudes, behaviours and a new Safety Culture. In both peacetime and in military operations, the military need to operate, in a safe manner, aircraft which are available, capable and safe.
An effective Airworthiness Regime which demonstrably assures and ensures this will take several years to mature. I recognise that implementation will be a major undertaking. The structural, substantive, cultural and behavioural changes required are significant. A sea-change in attitudes will be required. I am confident that the effort will be worthwhile in terms of Availability, Capability and Risk to Life

Many comments on the focus drift to 'budget target' rather than 'safety targets' in all three organisations MOD/BAe/Quinetic, across a number of quite specific years 98-06 which included significant defence reviews and BAe's downsizing/restructuring/job cuts in the commercial marketplace. (NB I mean as a business not whether supplying mil/civil contracts).

The Beebs expert, an ex Nimrod F/E? seems very competant. He stated there were a few surprises in the report. The anchor, (perfect ryhming slang in this case), asked what surprises there were?, to which the expert gave a brief summation of one example i.e a sentence about the possibilty of it being fuel re-entering the aircraft from an external leak. 'Ah yes but that's a specific point' says the '#anchor'... Quite how he didn't say 'thats what you asked for less than ten seconds ago' was beyond me, well played matey for the restraint shown. Maybe if they got James May to read the news when there's bits about technical stuff like machinery, may help the beeb to get a little bit of credibility in their news.
Skys bint was no better stating that HC had said the accident was 'unavoidable', whereas he said 'preventable'. Suggest at Skys chrimbo party they give her a dictionary as her pressy with instructions on how to use it.

Hopefully people will read the report rather than swallow beebsky wholesale dumbing down and misinterpretation which can reasonably be expected ..