PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2007 Puma Crash, Enquiry and Inquest (Merged)
Old 28th Oct 2009, 13:36
BEagle

Received 312 Likes on 114 Posts
Sadly, there is little one can do to prevent an idiot from exceeding the brief if they are minded so to do without thought for the potential consequences.
When you and I were suffering under the PCL, caz, I was on a 'Fast Jet Lead-In course'. So we were supposed to be punchy and aggressive... But there was one QFI who scared the living fertilizer out of me with ultra low level flying, rolling and pulling over ridges at 'about 250 ft', amongst other things. He was also seen practising illicit gear-down barrel rolls in LFA17 on an SCT solo. Perhaps unsurprisingly, he and his Jaguar later came to grief on an overseas detachment on an academic range sortie....

I agree about the tatty state of some military establishments, Benson being a classic case. The gate guard is an utter disgrace, it is true. But when I went to Aldershot to do attend a resettlement brief in 2003, I expected it to be all Pongo spit and polish - however, it too was very shabby. Even little Topcliffe used to look better kept 12 years earlier. Yes, appearance DOES matter.

I guess that the Gp Capt with no hat and five o' clock shadow hadn't done the 'meeja' course - or had perhaps forgotten its guidance?

As for Melanie Reid's observations about the current state of the UAS world, I am hardly surprised, given the appalling dumbing-down of the once superb UAS system which occurred a few years ago.....