PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What hope for low hour pilots ???
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2002, 12:36
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 212 Likes on 78 Posts
No. Instructors generally stand apart from the management and the rest of the company.

Its why you always read comments about School XYZ being run by spineless coniving idiots and demons in marketing whilst the instructors were a fantastic bunch of all round good guys.

When you enter the instructor-student relationship a lot of things 'fall away'. It matters not if your are airline sponsored or self. If you are here for a module or for an entire course. It matters not whether you are a groundshool star or dunce. Rich, poor, old or young. Daddy might be Fleet Manager for Big Airways or run the local chippy. When you become my student none of that matters. You will be judged on two things. Performance and Effort.

And your Instructor will JUDGE you. You will be debriefed most frankly. Professional flying instructors will resist any pressure to filter their feedback though any kind of Customer Relations spin.

We ain't there to blow sunshine up you.

Its no use being treated with kid gloves all the way through training. When you hit the nowhere-to-hide pressure of your first type conversion course and then the 40 odd line training sectors where every finicky error is jumped upon you wil be ill prepared.

I'm not saying FI's shoud aim to be antagonistic. Far from it. I had some great fun with most of my students.

smartcol - you've gone quiet. Speak up for yourself man.