PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing's new 'sonic' airliner atracting lots of interest from airlines!
Old 8th Apr 2001, 22:50
Juliet November

Roc,

Quite agree, hope they get it off the ground and into revenue service soonest possible. However, still have my doubts concerning the timeline here. For all it's marvels, the 777 is following the Boeing tradition of low mounted wings and podded engines in a twin-aisle fuselage.

Before Boeing can even begin the design fase one would imagine that extensive consulting will take place with any interested buyers, and reveiwing their requirements and getting the findings build into the design, so to speak. This process takes forever; I belive Airbus spent the better part of 2 years on this with the A380 and undoubtly Boeing spend a lot of time too with the B777 way back when.

The "sonic-cruiser" (B787 ?) is a radical new step forward, and the design and build of a brand new wing is no small feat. Furthermore, it will in most liklihood require a new engine, or at best a derivative of an existing one. Takes time too. Bearing in mind the novelty of the design, testing and approval should be quite rigourous which will also take time. Add it all up, and an entry into service around the end of the decade seems to me to be a good guess.

But, as said earlier, the sooner the better, although it could all be a hoax that fits in neatly with Boeings view of smaller aircraft serving smaller airports direct, rather than Airbus outlook for megajets serving congested hubs.

BTW,
Over on this side of the pond the P/T Cruiser is quite popular too !

DT