PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'll never fly a LCC because...
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2009, 13:08
ozangel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fair points metro man.

However - Virgin Blue cabin crew are paid above the average cabin crew wage these days - would you support them in taking a similar stance in an effort to improve conditions (not just for themselves, but -) for everyone?

Exceptional circumstances sure - i've happily gone in at 2am on annual leave to do a 21 (yes - twenty one!) hour 4 sector duty to pick up a soldier who was killed - and I did this on my birthday, but I can not be held responsible for a companies lack of oversight when it comes to the travel plans of 200 passengers, funeral or otherwise. God knows, i've missed a few funerals, weddings, birthdays and births at short notice...

And, sure, the aircraft may be certified for less - I didn't sign my employment agreement with boeing (or airbus or embraer) - I signed it with an airline that also put pen to paper and agreed!

I was one of those Ansett passengers, and also one of those Ansett staff members. I lost my job, and missed an important occasion. I too remember the tears - but no regrets, just respect!

8888 - I didn't say everyone - I don't doubt there are others like you - however you are certainly not in the majority (beyond an anonymous online forum - ie in the real world). I guess my point is, the planes do not fly without pilots, and for now, they certainly don't fly without flight attendants - like it or not... Flight Attendants, like pilots are a requirement - and like pilots, we are just trying to make a living... I know first hand at Qantas (short haul) and Virgin Blue, there is generally a healthy respect for the pilots, which for the most part is reciprocated.

No disrespect to Obie beyond that he has shown flight attendants...

That is as far as I will be drawn into an iron curtain debate... Safe flying...

Last edited by ozangel; 27th Oct 2009 at 13:20.