PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot criticised over Puma crash
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2009, 13:03
MBJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder what height this crew were authorised down to? As I remember it, before any sortie, let alone a low-level one there was a senior member of a Squadron who would "authorise" the flight - a system that was supposed to ensure appropriate briefing and suitability of the pilots concerned for the job in hand.

In the CVR replays it was evident that the AVAD was giving a warning of low height. What is this set at? In the civvy world this is usually 100ft and was devised and mandated to prevent "Controlled flight into terrain or water" as a result of the Scillies CFIW 30 years ago. Not much use in a tactical military support helicopter, which you would expect, operationally, to be at about 20-50ft AGL.

I can't believe the coroner's report that said the "pilot was not trained" for this type of sortie. He was 28 and on a front line military support squadron, if he wasn't trained he wouldn't have been there. Perhaps the sub-text was he wasn't very well trained?.. or out of practice?.. or he wasn't competent at what he was doing?.. or he ignored his authorisation?