PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Darwin in the 80's
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2009, 04:43
Howabout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinpis,

Not wrong on the observation of the Darwin skyline. As a pre-cyclone kid and later, post-cyclone, back there to work, I was amazed at the changes during a recent visit. All for the worst in my opinion. Unfortunately, the NT on my ident stands for Not There anymore. Or, maybe it's somewhat fortunate - I found it a little hard to identify with my previous three residencies (60's, late 70's, late 80's). The last time, in the late 80's/early 90's, it was getting too big IMHO. Now it's pretty much the same as everywhere else with the humidity. It's lost its character.

There's that atrocity of a residential development at Cullen Bay, sprawling northern suburbs, crocs getting picked out of Berry Springs when anything in the harbour would have had a 303 round through its head once (bleeding heart greenies). I went and saw where we, as kids, used to spend all our spare time in the water down at Fannie Bay and Mindil Beach; but there's no way I'd go in the water now.

I don't mind the buggers having free roam of Arnhem Land, but I'd blow them into the next testament within 100Ks of Darwin. Saurian extinction, in my opinion, is a bit like climate change.

You also, to my eternal horror, lost one of the best little aero clubs on the planet. I spent many a good night in that place when it was on the south side. 'Commercial reality' destroyed a Darwin icon. An uncle of mine was the first CFI - '65 I think.

Anyway, I'm a dinosaur - what would I know?