PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sorry, you're too late...
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2002, 01:45
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Hi DR,
No, I did not suggest that you suggested that flight and cabin crew contributed to delays - but you commented that you took it out on them, through very PAXey kind of behaviour!

I think it true to say that the crux is that the airline 'system' (for want of better word) as operated in Europe, is not just out of capacity but totally swamped.

I recall an occasion at LHR on 5th Nov 1997 (Guy Fawkes was totally washed out) when a VS machine had a problem with undercarriage on arrival. It was expected but the machine blocked the southern runway from about 15:00 that day.

The back log of aircraft spilled over into the next day. Then into the next day, because machines were in the wrong place. I was going to Paris that night (5th) and was severly delayed.

It made me realise how very serious the situation is - one runway out of action for less than 24 hours and the effects were felt for three days.

I realise that this drifts rather from the points that you were making and the two way break that you are seeking. But because there is zero spare capacity in the 'system', no one can give you anything back.