PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB investigating possible nodding off of Northwest pilots
Old 26th Oct 2009, 21:14
GreenEyedTraveler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being reported now that the pilots told investigators they were working on their laptops, and the FO was instructing the Captain on how to do crew scheduling. The NTSB has supposedly said use of laptops in the cockpit is prohibited.
As I thought. Is it time to say "I told you so?" now?

Whether it's a "laptop", or a blackberry, a mobile phone, an iPod ... whatever "mobile digital electronic device", it doesn't matter. Nor does it matter if it's "prohibited". Most major cities have complete bans on talking on cellphones and texting while driving, and those laws are not enforced, as *everyone* is yapping and texting away while they're driving nowadays.

Now apparently, this has spread to flightdecks. The expression "hang up and DRIVE!" needs to now be modified to "HANG UP (or, in this case, log-off) AND FLY!!"

I don't care how "boring" or "routine" it is. A zero-tolerance policy needs to be crafted around all these devices that are just making us dumber as a society, and LESS SAFE as pedestrians, drivers, and passengers.

FOCUS on the task at hand. And if you cannot, either get help, or get into a different line of work.