PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France pilots make headline news
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2009, 11:18
FL370 Officeboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think correct terminology and readbacks are important in these bilingual envoronments as well. So many people read back all sorts of rubbish that is not required and add their own little tid-bits to each transmission as well.
I completely agree with this and us Brits are probably the most guilty! I was arriving at a European airfield recently and the approach controller issued the following clearance:

'XXX123 turn right 330, descend 3000 cleared ILS Rwy X'

The Brit pilot read back:

'Turn right heading 330 degrees, descend altitude 3000feet, cleared to intercept localizer, when established localizer descend ILS'

As far as I am concerned that is not a suitable readback.

I am 100% in favour of everyone using standard phraseology in English but I also feel it is important to read back what you are told in a standard manner - understanding that English is not everyone's mother tongue and therefore not giving ones own overly verbose version of what you are told to do. Of course UK R/T is so long winded that we get used to it but that is not the universal standard and I don't think UK style RT it in a foreign land is a good thing.