PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I am an Army of One (merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2002, 20:52
AAL_Silverbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again sorry mates but don't shoot the messenger! I'm not "Army" but I do understand where he is coming from.

Every pilot hired by one of the majors comes on board excited as a kid at Christmas with his/her new job. It doesn't take long before the wind is let out of their sail. Some of it is by the unions but most of it is by the employer. Pilots working their up the corporate ladder via the "Peter Principle" make terrible managers. Managers who have never pushed throttles for a living don’t do any better. This current situation that has been dropped in everyone’s lap since 9/11 has turned into a circular firing squad. It always happens when times are bad only this time it’s the worst I’ve seen. Money leaving the corporate coffers by the train load! Where it will end who knows but the landscape will be changed forever as certain operators will not be here in the next five years. Management’s fault, or labors fault? Enough blame to go around for everyone. Most of it can be blamed on alack of communication and trust between the two combatants. At my carrier we used to have a big sign painted facing the ramp connecting A terminal to C terminal at DFW it said, “Cooperation, Communication, Mutual Respect and Trust”. It’s now been painted over.