PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good sunnies to wear for flying?
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2009, 01:53
the air up there

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the polarized lenses. May just depend on the shape of the lense. Had two pairs now. Both polarized, both Oakleys. First pair great for general flying if maybe a little dark, so in low light conditions they had to be placed on top of the head. Also, they were cheapies ($300, I wasnt working in aviation when I bought them) and I experienced the optical illusions when landing.

Second pair are also Oakleys (way more expensive and also bought when working outside aviation) and polarized and in 1000hrs of flying haven't caused any problems (VFR and IFR), with no optical illusions on landing, nil complaints and many compliments from passengers. Both pairs have good eye coverage and thin arms but are a little to big to fit under a headset, solution, put the arms on top of the headset. No problems with the reading of instruments with those ones either.

I have experienced the 'blacking out' of LCD screens with them though. Solution to this is to keep the head level. When my head is tilted sideways the polarization must line up (or whatever it does) and causes the screen to go blank or black. Never had any problems with picking up other aircraft or peripherals.

I must say that my newer glasses aren't as dark, and I think this an important consideration and they maybe good for outside or high light environments, but look back into the cockpit and you cant see or they are to dark to wear in low light conditions, not good as there can still be lots of glare then.

Just my experience.