PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britten-Norman Islander Ditching off Bonaire
Old 25th Oct 2009, 20:23
Flintstone

Uncannily silverknapper has mentioned the very point I logged in to comment on, whether or not the second engine was doing any good.

In 1996 an Islander, VH-HIA, made a forced landing on a beach on the Gold Coast in Queensland. The initial report is here, afraid I can't find the final one but I'm sure someone will come up with it.

ASN Aircraft accident Britten-Norman BN-2A-21*Islander VH-HIA Currumbin, QLD

While making no assumptions as to what happened in the Bonaire case I do know a little about the Australian one. One of the engines on VH-HIA had a history of surging and I know this because at that time I worked for the company who maintained it and were trying to track down the cause. Just about every component was changed in trying to cure it but the fault would re-occur. On the night of the accident it happened again, the pilot told me that it was causing such a violent yaw he opted to shut it down only to find that despite his best efforts (and having flown with him I can vouch for his skills) the aircraft would not maintain altitude.

He set about re-starting the offending engine but found himself running out of room so opted to make a forced landing on the beach. There was little light and he could only aim for the luminescence created by the surf breaking (he was over a built-up area with no hope of going elsewhere). All went well until, just a few feet above the sand, a wingtip struck the only rock for miles causing both wings to snap off. The fuselage, complete with passengers, dropped the last few feet into the water and rolled onto it's side. Although initially stunned he came to under water and released himself before, depsite having several broken ribs, dragging several passengers clear. Fortunately this occurred right outside a surf club where the police were having a party and so there was plenty of help on hand. All the passengers survived.

During the subsequent enquiry it was noted that company SOP's for an in-flight restart was 'everything forward', throttle, pitch and mixture and while this worked well on a carburetted engine this company had a mixed fleet which included some aircraft with fuel injected engines which flooded under those settings.

Apologies for the long story and, perhaps, thread drift but I think this case is worth considering.