PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WiMax
Thread: WiMax
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2009, 13:19
OFSO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, yes and yes. I have a WiMax connection from Iberbanda SA, their installation boys come round and fix the entire thing, which consists of a WiMax module on the wall with an Ethernet cable going from it into the computer, and another ethernet cable going up onto the roof where the microwave antenna is.

Costs me 45 euros a month including IVA and gives "at least" 1Mg down AND up, most all the time (heavy rain storms excepted). I'm 15 kms from the mast just outside Figueras (Province Girona).

When they've left, go and buy a Belkin WiFi router.

(a) Unplug the cable going from the WiMax module to the computer at the computer end and instead plug it into the Belkin WiFi "in".

(b) Then plug the provided ethernet cable that came with the Belkin WiFi into the Belkin "out" and into the computer at the other (that's the vacant socket you left in step (a) above).

Turn everything on again and your PC will function as before. Log onto Belkin's site and download the ioperating system for the Belkin WiFi and it should work first time.

PM me for more details ! I spent more time worrying about whether I could do it, than actually doing it.....