PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia? Very strange!
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2009, 11:44
555orange

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys.

Yep, I'm referring to AA (Air Asia) hiring non typed FO's into Captains seats. Ie: A 737 FO who has never flown an Airbus to a A320 Capt position based on an interview. and purely on his total flight time.

I argue that total time is not enough. 345 thinks that it is.

I argue that AA(Air Asia) cannot reasonably do a sim eval on a non type rated guy if they are using 320 sims. (Yes yes..other carriers do steam driven raw data... but then their not hiring DECs from a pool of non typed FO's!). 345 argues that you can.

I argue that you cannot reasonably tell if a candidate is suitable to be a captain when you just looking at total time, and whatever they do for interview. (not sure what they do for interview but if anyone knows...please jump in). 345 argues that you can.

Further, I make other points:

1. I belive its adding risk. A non type going DEC 320 increased your chance initially to have an incident, and vs/vs Bus-Boeing. Lets be clear: I am not talking about pilots that already work for the company... I know that is done all the time. We are talking about a 737 FO DEC 320 on the first interview. And it seems Air Asia agrees with me since previous post states they have stopped this practice.

2. There is a growth period moving from conventional to Airbus. More so in my opinion than vs/vs because we all initially trian from conventional. I dont believe its wise to combine this growth period with a Command from FO from another company and another type. I believe the better way is to hire FO's and give them 1 year and then upgrade. Limit your risks.

3. I believe that this is purely a effort by Air Asia cut a corner and pay Captains less than other companies. If they payed market or more for a Captain they would get Captains and everyone would benefit. What they are doing is just driving salaries down. Great for those 737/747 drivers that can get a quick command though off the backs of the rest of us.

4. Hey.. Babotika: My opinion: I believe that you cannot asess command in a sim interview. Are you familiar with Air Aisa? How long is the sim eval per candidate and how many candidates are evaluated each day? I will say again, sim flying is entirely dynamic. You will do a stellar job 9/10 times, and one day do a not so good job. You cannot exclude judgement from this. It would be foolish to decide command potential from a single sim event. History is the best and safest indicator.

For these points, 345 called me young and immature! Im so upset now.
Safe flying to you 345. Lets have some discussion with out throwing mindless #### please.

btw: My bad on CCQ... I meant a type change. IE boeing to bus. Sorry about using "AA"... but I won't use the other acronyms because others may not know them.

Babotika, any idea why Air Asia decided to stop doing it?