PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - See and avoid still the first line of defence expert says.
Old 25th Oct 2009, 10:26
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This subject is indeed a worry. See & be seen is fine in some basic cases but situational awareness is going out the window at a rapid rate, a vital part in effective comms. No point in blabbing out all the right calls if someone really doesn't know west from east for Eg.
Also with the advent of cheap, easy to obtain & the use of GPS's these days every man & his dog is flying using one for primary navigation legal or otherwise. Although it's a great tool for a pilot & can mean efficiency as well as accuracy it also means heads are in the cockpit a lot more than days gone by. I know I use the GPS in the circuit a little to remain within my prescribed circling area in less than favorable conditions but am now more aware of what's going on around me than ever & use my Med team to be my eyes at every corner when I can.

Off track a little here (pun intended) I recall some years ago flying across the ditch using GPS as LR Nav when we where head to head with a NZ B767 (lower than us thank God!!). You could have split our plane right down the middle if we where at the same Alt, the accuracy was incredible! This means two A/c can be approaching a circuit coming in from the same departure AD & be pretty much in the same piece of airspace & on diff CTAF freq's, scary stuff!
The answer? Education, no other way round it other than to perhaps becoming more a religious soul, you might as well yr ass belongs to him!!!. (see if anyone can pick where that statement came from in a movie?)

Wmk2