PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. pilots allowed to carry guns.
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2001, 13:34
fionan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

AA SLF you denounced Julian's arguement that pilots would be taken out by a blast at the cockpit door.
While this may be true, there is little doubt that trained committed terrorists armed with the element of surprise would have little difficulty in overpowering a crew after such a blast. By the time any pilot had recovered their wits, identified the situation, located the gun, turned found and disabled the targets it would be long over.
In this scenario the terrorists would now also have a gun.

I think preventive medicine is the best route here:

1 We should look at all possible ways of preventing weapons/explosive devices getting on board.
2 International intelligence organisations should be co-operating with the airlines in monitoring the movement of all known or suspected terrorists. ( E.G. any flight showing 2 or more such characters should be grounded pending investigation )
3 All crews and groundstaff ( including security ) should recieved improved training to ensure increased vigilance.
4 All airports should have security hotlines where any staff or pax can report a percieved breach of security or suggest possible improvements.

I'm sure every single ppruner can add to the above list.

Incidently AA SLF why do you think it would take over 7 seconds to open any cockpit door. I could do it in 1!