PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France pilots make headline news
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2009, 07:16
lelolo44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meaning ...

Hi all, i know it is not that easy to know what is going on the airline for outsiders, and when we read the news with a "air france pilots are asked to fly correctly" people have to understand two ways of understanding the title :

Long before AF447 few pilot's unions ALTER and SPAF, asked AF to increase and modify its safety policy, the management never really listenened to them...instruction in the airline is 90% based on books, and young pilots look like "lawyers" studying ...the main task being if you have that scenario where do you find the answer in the book ??

Every year two simulators sessions, and until last year pilots had the all simulator session in detail in their book, so no surprise with on top of it a majority of them having a copy of the instructor leaflet on the side !!

AF pilots are asking for an external "audit" to me made, preferably by foreign pilots experts, they are asking for major changes for a long time now (before toronto), but the management never really moved its ass ..
After AF447 crash, two unions ALTER and SPAF asked that all Thalès pitot tubes to be changed on all 340 and 330, they pushed ver yhard until the management decided to do it while the same management communicated on the subject saying they did the change etc !!!
The same unions are asking to the pilot's management to resign from their seats because they estimate properwork hasn't been done...and months later that management decided to send the letter above mentionned.....so now you have more clues about that very sad story !

I used to fly in foreign airlines, did some type ratings in UK, flew with British and US pilots in the past, and i must say i'm not impressed by the management of the airline, there is a huge work for "foreign audit experts" with AIR FRANCE , and they have to go very deep inside the airline ...
Concerning french pilots and english let's face the main problem, why so few french pilots and/or people; speak and write properly english ???
Of course because the education system is to be changed ! that problem has been identified for long, sudents from the age of 10 start to study grammar, grammar, grammar, and can hardly talk despite knowing the most insignificant grammar particularity after 8 years of english lessons !!Who could believe it is a genetic problem seriously ?
English is not the issue with AF447, but seeing how difficult it is to change the education system with languages points out the big french problem...

AF needs the extern audit, french pilots are asking for it !!