PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Q400 Captains with Air Nippon
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2009, 02:09
hoover1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I failed because I have an irregular heartbeat at rest. while on the treadmill for the stress test my heart is normal. It was explained to me that I have an athletic heart and sometimes they do this since it does not need to work that hard. I have done many marathons and I currently compete in ironman races so this was a shock for them to tell me I could not pass. The cardiologists said there is nothing wrong with my heart and I was the only person he has seen max out the treadmill test. but becuase it is low and beats off sometimes I fail. That is kinda their philosophy. If it is not what is written down as normal then it is not right. Like I said I would have liked the job and my family was looking forward to it as well. At least I know now that I will never pass a JCAB medical so I can stop trying.

I am not entirely sure about corrective lenses since I do not wear them. They did ask If I wear them before taking my eye tests therefore it would lead me to believe it might be okay as long as it is within certain parameters without lenses.

What is included in the medical? What is not would be quicker.
Full blood tests: cholesterol,protien,fatty lipids, sugars, anything else that can be tested.
Height to weight: BMI
Urine and drugs
EKG- heart test followed by a stress test-treadmill.
EEG- brain wave scan, checking for seizeures I think.
Balance test.
Eye tests: normal one, depth, periphial, this one was annoying and hard. Put your head in a sphere and stare at a light for 7 mins while lights flash around your head and then you push a button when you see one. And you better not miss one. probably over 150 lights. you do this three times one for each eye then both.
Pysch test and interview with shrink.
A regular FAA type medical that you already know.
Hearing test.
Probablly some stuff that I missed but it takes two days. Nothing really hard just a little intrusive for U.S. standards. In my opinion this medical would weed out 85% of U.S. pilots. BMI alone would account for over half. Remeber a high BMI dosen't mean that you are fat or out of shape or relate in anyway to overall health but it is a objective way to measure health for the JCAB. With all I do and my training i was at a 27 a month before I went. I stopped lifting weights in order to loose weight to make sure and got down to 25 for the test. 30 is the limit.