PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MP's not wearing poppies
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2009, 01:56
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would never wear a poppy before November the first, and then not after November the eleventh. I don't know if there is a proper time, but in my spacey/army service that was always the rule for me.

I bought my poppy today (it is still in the car for now), and although I know why I bought it, I wonder just how many other folks know why they buy theirs, or what they actually symbolise?

Last year my youngest son was the only student in his college class to wear one, and many of his friends asked him what it was for.

Tarantonight
I did not notice any white poppies at Bristol last year, but do know many of the police on duty and also some of the honour guard officers. I can think of one ex spacey/RAFP who would have strong views on the wearing of white poppies, and may have felt the need to offer advice on its wearing.

If an MP chooses to wear a poppy, then that is up to them. I am not offended if they choose not to, and often feel they may have just been given one for free for the purpose of appearing on TV (I can't help but notice that many MP's poppies appear to be upside down during interviews)