PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. pilots allowed to carry guns.
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2001, 08:57
AA SLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chimbu chuckles -

You said in your first post . . . .

with this myth that their constitution guarantees them the ‘right’ to ‘bear arms’, it does not!
Beg to differ with you! Plenty of US Supreme Court case law on the "right to bear arms". I have a couple right now and will continue to have them as long as our Constitution isn't changed. Also licensed for "concealed carry" in the State of Texas.

Interesting Chimbu that you and I can agree on at least one thing - that little "school" in Georgia is a BAD THING, was in the past and still is today.

Now back to disagreeing with you: That Georgia school does NOT, IMHO, mean that the USA is a terrorist state.

I see that our learned debater Julian still hasn't figured out how to "control" an explosive device. He has never heard of "shaped" charges, etc. He postulates that the crew would take great damage from any explosion strong enough to take out the door. But it doesn't necessarily have to be the door that gets taken out to gain access to the cockpit on most Boeing configured a/c. I'm not going to say more than that. Those who do fly can "look and think" for themselves.

Some posts ago one someone said that this debate has gone into an "us/them" kind of thing. "us" being mostly American and "them" being mostly European with the exception of stator vane and maybe swashplate. Yep - it is the American "gun culture" thing.

Several American poster make the point that the cabin is the "last line of defense", and I agree. That is why I, and other American posters, want the cockpit to at least have the option to arm themselves. As an SLF, I would feel safer if I knew there was the possibility that the cockpit had a pistol in it. NO - I do not believe that this would scare Mom/Pop AMERICAN Tourist (shellsuit) away from flying.

I, for one, hope that the cockpit never has to use a gun since I believe/hope that the pax would have taken on the bad guys before it got to that stage. I usually fly in seat-4B and I am now watching each person that heads to the fwd bathroom (loo) very closely.

But I do not think it would take a bad guy more than 7-10 seconds to access the cockpit and I am not always that alert. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Chimbu - this is not the "last war" merely it is ANOTHER war. And you are also right - "you are either for us or agin us". That is what my thread of last Oct was titled.

Safe flying forever -

dAAvid -