PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB investigating possible nodding off of Northwest pilots
Old 25th Oct 2009, 01:07
Ditchdigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditchdigger

Ah most airlines SOP’s do not program or activate the approach page until prior to the TOD. Unless the approach page is activated the TOD cue will not occur, the aircraft will revert to heading/altitude hold mode at the last entered waypoint with the accompanying audio/mode changes indications.

As I said previously no one has any idea what actually happened and won’t know until the investigation is completed so why rush to judgement on news media reports.
I think you may be missing my point. Regardless of airline SOPs, they had an ATC clearance for a route to Minneapolis. There does not seem to be any disputing the fact that they went 150 miles further, through several sectors of airspace, without getting a clearance to do that. Unless it was an emergency (which possibility hasn't been mentioned at all), they weren't allowed to do that.

I don't think my post can be characterized as a rush to judgement, but this is an internet discussion forum, and speculation is part and parcel of what goes on here. If you find it more acceptable, I'm speculating that the FAA is likely to have a problem with that lack of clearance.