PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britten-Norman Islander Ditching off Bonaire
Old 24th Oct 2009, 19:29
trex450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can recall, on a day cooler than in the case of this accident, being only able to maintain a very low altitude at a weight of approximately 100kgs below max during an assymetric training flight. I love the Islander but it is a heavy aircraft to say the least on one engine. While I have no idea about the composition of the pax if they were all adult (the press usually highlight when children are involved) then this aircraft was always going to be heavy with 9 pax and the pilot. Given that the critical engine is the left on the Islander then it is quite probable that something else was a factor as already suggested (prop not feathering or left engine not providing full power). We will wait for the report on that. None the less the guy clearly did a good job getting it down as I never fancied having to ditch it. It went through my mind more than once that as the pilot you are the worst placed occupant in a ditching due to the pitch moment that it would have on contacting the surface and the high instrument panel. RIP