PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britten-Norman Islander Ditching off Bonaire
Old 24th Oct 2009, 18:28
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a comment, with probably no relevance to the loss described in this threead, in the very early 1970s a military evaluation of the BN2A in a very hot part of the world concluded that "the aircraft must be regarded as a single engine-aircraft as there are few circumstances in which with a normal load it can sustain level flight on one engine. The best that can be hoped for is a controlled descent and landing." (That's only slightly paraphrased for brevity.)

It was none-the-less brought into service in that hot place both as a civil aircraft operating under the CAA rules of the time for transport operations, and in the military (who operated exactly as above). It was widely accepted among the civil pilots that if an engine quit, the other would overheat at within 5 minutes at or near Max Cruise to maintain level flight thus forcing a descent and, as I recall, this was demonstrated several times, although not in a real emergency.

It was a long time ago, and I stand to be corrected by people who were there also, but that's how I remember it. I still have the military evaluation, but that's in the attic.