PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. pilots allowed to carry guns.
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2001, 07:40
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tripower455,
Yes I'm absolutely certain. Dont mistake healthy debate for anti American! You're probably a parent, ever heard the expression 'tough love'.

Raas767,
Twas not I how used the expression 'Rogue Superpower', and believe it is rather stonger than I would have chosen.

Yes the world owes the US a debt of gratitude for it's help during the period 1941-1945. Yes things like the Berlin Airlift would not have been as successful without the help of the US. Yes reconstruction of Europe and Japan would not have been as successful without the US. Yes SOME of what the US did in the 50s, 60s and 70s needs to be judged in the context of the times, to suggest that by the 80s the American Govt didn't know the USSR was a castle of cards is to insult their security and Intelligence organisations.
Yes Saddam is a C**T and needed to be stopped.

However I fear the US is now reaping what it has sowed in the Middle East and other parts of the world. You just can't remain the school bully for ever without someone coming up and giving you a bloody nose sooner or later.

If the US and UN can't see that, rightly or wrongly, there are issues that caused 911 then we are in for a torrid 21st century. Despite what MANY American Citizens seem to believe 911 was NOT a strike out of the blue, merely a terrible escalation of an on-going war against people who will use religion to give some credibility to their horrific actions.

Like I said you're fighting the last war, which ended on 911, there are myriad ways of achieving the aims of the Bin Ladens of this world, perhaps removing some of their 'cause celeb' will do more in the medium term than a re run of 'The Green Berrets'.

On the other hand, if his 'cause' is the conversion of the entire world to his version of Islam then find me something that flies and carries $hitloads of things that go 'BANG'!!

Chuck.