PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To be an Engineer or not be an Engineer-What should I do?
Old 24th Oct 2009, 16:48
aviatordom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be an Engineer or not be an Engineer-What should I do?

Hi PPRuNer's,

That time in my life has finally come for me. The time when I can finally start to make decisions about what I would like to do after I leave school, there is the option of:

Sixth Form
College
or an Apprenticeship Scheme

Like many people my age I really don't know what I want to do 100%

Now, my manual dexterity isn't brilliant, I haven't got the co-ordination of an Air Force pilot and my Maths is pretty shoddy! (i'm achieving steady C's, but i'm not really that brilliant)

So far, it doesn't sound as if i'm really the right person to be fixing a big Airbus or Boeing or designing a Bridge, etc..

Right, down to the nitty gritty. Deciding that I want to go into the world of aircraft engineering, my assumption is that a B2 Avionic engineer doesn't neccessarily have to be as skilled when it comes to using tools, would I be right in saying this? Or is that complete rubbish?

Are both B1 & B2 on par in terms of dexterity level?

Finally, should I go to College or Sixth Form and take A-levels, keeping my options open and having back-up plans? or would it be best to apply for an apprenticeship?