PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ease up on U.S. airport screening?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2002, 14:51
Taildragger67

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently went from a major European hub, via an East Coast gateway, to a west-coast destination, with a major US carrier. Had to go through the standard security to get into the departures area, but then at the gate (we were told to get there well early), was only allowed into the holding room four-at-a-time where they did a comprehensive manual check (including shoes). I was treated courteously at all times and I responded in kind. One gentlemen who tried to make a scene was (very courteously) informed that he could exercise his right to decline to be checked, but then the carrier could exercise its right to refuse him carriage. he shut up & removed his shoes.
In the US, I was alarmed that I did not have to pass through ANY checks between the gate where I arrived and the gate for the connecting flight, despite that concourse being packed with people and flights from many different carriers (so tha carrier I flew with had no guarantee as to where others had come from).
Leaving the west coast for my return, I was randomly selected for a search (I later noticed my boarding card had been marked at check-in) - again, very thorough and courteous - I made a point of being courteous to the checkers and they remarked that I was unusual in that respect - so I must conclude that if punters are rude to them, they will be rude back- and fair enough. Again, sod-all checks at the east-coast gateway to come back to Europe.

So it appears to me that people OUTSIDE the major east-coast centres are taking security far more seriously than those in the cities which are most likely to be targets next time. There is much gnashing of teeth over the government here - but they will listen to the public, so why are you wasting time writing to PPRUNE and not to your local newspaper of congressman?? Why are those in the industry not taking industrial action? Can you seriously tell me that the papers would not LOVE to take the side of an airline worker sacked for blowing the whistle on lax security??