PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2007 Puma Crash, Enquiry and Inquest (Merged)
Old 24th Oct 2009, 12:51
Chugalug2

Received 235 Likes on 72 Posts
Mick Strigg:
The RN and AAC have long established Accident Investigation (AI) organisations with recognised "independent" lines of responsibility to enable them to comment on shortcomings in systems and procedures.
Has the AAC trained professional accident investigators who conduct Accident Investigations, rather than merely advise ones that are effectively conducted by amateurs as is the case with the RAF? There seems to be two issues here, professional and independent. You tell me that the RN achieves both, if so much respect. The RAF achieves neither in my book. So where is the AAC in this? I am not trying to establish more quangos for no good reason, goodness knows we have enough. I am aware of great deficiencies in RAF AI and look for a solution so that more lives are not needlessly lost. I am also aware that UK Military Airworthiness Regulation enforcement is a scandal, and that affects the RAF, the RN and the AAC equally. RTS may be different, CAR is not. That is why I call for a separate MAA, because the MOD has shown that it cannot be trusted with such awesome responsibility.