PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2009, 11:21
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are the weakest link -goodbye !

I know this has been mentioned previously, but yes, armour of any kind is essential; and that includes one's own aircraft accidents on deck, which seems to have been planned out - remember the unfortunate accident when even a tiny practice bomb penetrated a CVS deck causing serious injury, well say an F-35 of any kind or helo' having a mishap is GOING to happen sometime - another VERY hard won lesson conveniently forgotten.

CIWS; yes, I still don't fancy being on the wrong end of even bits of a high subsonic / supersonic missile, hence armour, and the layered defence, with I presume a Type 23 close by, if we haven't sold them all, ( deals with ASW to an extent too ) and if really lucky a Type 45 further out, then - gasp ! - aircraft able to knock out the guys in black hats either in the air or lair.

As also mentioned, RFA's are the weak link, currently lucky if they get a single CIWS, and probably a few Marines with 20mm & MANPADS; as the Argentinians proved, one doesn't have to play by the rules and go for the capital ships, RFA's - sod the legalitilies I'm afraid - are big juicy targets, and if I were a nasty person in an aircraft, submarine or speedboat, would regard taking one out as a job well done.

I know some are designed to be ' Seawolf capable ' but has there ever even been a trial fit & firing, and if things did get lively, would they have time to fit such sophisticated kit, command control etc ?

Maybe it's corny to say this, but as Rememberance Day approaches, with so many lessons paid before with so much blood, if we're going to 'do' defence let's do it right or don't bother, just roll over, but don't send any of our services out with crap kit.

I have read most of the books going on the Falklands War, ( was involved to a microscopic degree in trying to help Harrier mod's from UK ) and a common theme seems to me to run through them; " Christ, we didn't expect to have to actually go to war in / with THIS ! "