PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB investigating possible nodding off of Northwest pilots
Old 24th Oct 2009, 00:13
thcrozier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fatigue

I guess I am SLF too. I live in the Los Angeles area. I used to fly myself all over the southwestern US in my B36TC Bonanza on business. About 10 years ago I became aware that I just wasn't putting in the hours to keep myself as current as I needed to be, especially since airspace around here was becoming more and more complicated, and I usually was thinking of a lot more than flying the plane while doing so. So I quit and now let you pro's fly me around.

But I am honestly amazed at how you guys are able to keep yourselves awake on long haul flights. Back in the tube, I pass out almost immediately after takeoff and usually have to be roused by the FA before landing. With technology taking over more and more of the routine duties (even in my Bonanza all I had to do was take off, land, and talk to ATC; the computer pretty much handled the rest), how do you manage to stay alert after you have solved all the world's problems?

Tom

Last edited by thcrozier; 24th Oct 2009 at 01:01.