PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emigrating to Canada
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 20:29
YYZBeacher

Location: In the middle of the Golden Horseshoe otherwise known as Toronto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like any country, Canada has its problems

I was born in the United Kingdom, and came to the Great White North in my teens following my father getting a job in the Greater Toronto Area.

I go back to the UK - both on overnight stops, and to see relatives, and to be honest, living in Canada is so much more pleasant than on the little island, about one fifth the size of Ontario, with over 60M jammed in between her coasts.

Lack of consumer choice (big country, few people, skewed socio-demographics) and bloody cold winters and a completely bloated governmental bureaucracy are the only two issues that I have.

Earn more (if you compare dollars to pounds as one unit of currency), and live in a neighbourhood of Toronto that I couldn't hope to afford in the UK.

Pubs on my doorstep, listen to the waves of Lake Ontario from the porch, get to Cuba or other islands in the Caribbean in three-and-a-half hours, or be in Quebec City or Montreal in 60-75 minutes...

It's true Saskatoon and places on the prairies (IMHO) have all the character of the moon...but it depends what you're looking for and what you are used to.

Lastly, the Americans to the south - thankfully we still have a border.

Carrier - what happened to you in order you hold such negative views of the Maple Leaf?