PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB investigating possible nodding off of Northwest pilots
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 15:31
Northbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questioning the title, is it the NTSB that is “investigating” or is it the FAA “investigating” or both? I suspect the FAA is conducting an investigation into the ‘incident’.

This next comment is directed to those of us who fly these jets for a living. If you had asked this crew on the crew bus before this happened what their chances were of being involved with an incident like this, they would have scoffed and never believed they would be where they are now. That in and of itself serves as a warning to me. If it can happen to “them” then it could happen to me. If I believe I am somehow exempt I’m fooling myself. You seasoned professionals who point out that this is still under investigation and that the vast majority of what we are reading here is only speculation I salute you! You are spot on.

No, I don't work for Delta/Northwest.

For those few, who hurl abuse, scream for their heads, have already solved the mystery and revel in some crew’s current crisis nothing I say will temper your behavior. Consequently don’t complain that you are not warmly received by some crewmember the next time-there are a lot of ‘nuts’ out there. You are completely within your rights to raise your concerns and expect accountability. It’s your decision on how you choose to go about that. Some ways are constructive; others will get you ignored or worse.

Few people are subjected to the level of scrutiny as commercial pilots are (rightfully so). The proper authorities with training and work experience will investigate everything this crew did and said. And this crew will have competent representation. If discipline is required it will be enforced after the process has run its course.

Stick to the facts, look for safety implications and solve the underlying problems as they are discovered. Screaming for blood and mocking in derision does little to prevent aircraft overlying the destination in the future.

Last edited by Northbeach; 23rd Oct 2009 at 15:42.