PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Learned About Flying From That (ILAFFT)
Old 14th Jun 2002, 11:38
Out of Balance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early 1980's I was a Lynx crewman (LHS) on a flight from Bessbrook to Crossmaglen. As it was an underslung load flight I decided to con the hook up from the rear cabin. It was a rare warm summer day so I elected to stay there for the remainder of the flight with my legs dangling out of the LHS cabin sliding door (instead of the usual practice of climbing back into the LHS).

Apologies to RAF and RN crewmen, but we Army crewmen were not familiar with the aerodynamics in the cabin area and so I was most surprised when the airflow against my legs pushed me towards the rear of the aircraft.

As I was about to ask the pilot to slow down I slid far enough back to cause my helmet jack lead to become unplugged. Normal IC voice communication being impossible, the further back I slid, the louder I shouted until I was at the limit of my monkey strap and my vocal range.

With my fingers stretched in a death grip against the troop seats I had visions of an embarrassing approach into XMG of an Army Lynx with two underslung loads. Fortunately the reduced airflow against my legs during the approach enabled me to crawl back into the cabin and breathlessly con the aircraft into the base to drop off the sling load!

First time I've admitted to that one but the moment is still very clear to me!