PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB investigating possible nodding off of Northwest pilots
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 13:30
snaproll3480

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen, before we throw these two under the bus, let me relay a story of something that happened to me about 3 years ago.

While on a flight from Canada to NY (intentional vagueness), ATC had inadvertantly miscommunicated our flight number from one center to another. Now this wasn't simply a dislexic transcription but an entirely different call sign with an admittedly similar but not easily recognizable flight number. Our phantom callsign was given a frequency change without response and we continued on our way. It was not until I knew it was time to descend that I queried why we had not been given the expected descent. ATC responded by asking who we were and our position. I told them our callsign again and our position and was told to contact another frequency which I recognized as the next one in sequence. After contacting them they also aked who we were and our callsign. After some figuring, they realized that they had the incorrect callsign and had been trying to contact us for some time.

Throughout this episode we never received a selcal, acars message, or any other form of alert as to the mistake because they were probably trying to alert the wrong airline about a lost airplane that didn't exist.

My point is this, there are several possible explantions so let's not jump to any conclusions as the rest of the lay-world is so quick to do.