PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emigrating to Canada
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 12:54
er340790

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it seems both sides of the argument are getting a good hearing here. I have to say that there is much truth being said on both sides too.

As someone who moved here in 2005, I will quickly summarise what I see as the key Pros and Cons.

Pros.

Great people - generally.

Truly stunning landscapes.

Adequate 'free' healthcare - if you can find a GP (60% of my town's populace cannot).

Superb Winters if you like wintersports.

Safe and friendly environment.

Cons.

Appalling bureaucracy and bloated public sector, esp with both Prov and Fed governments. Move to another province and you have to renew Health Cover / Driving Licence etc etc etc. City By-Laws are stifling in the extreme. So much so that most people now ignore many of them in this region.

Relatively much higher taxes than you may be used to.

If you cannot cope with cold Winters, forget it now.

Low salaries but equally a much lower cost of living. My salary here is the same as I made in 1994 in Europe. However my std of living is immesurably superior. Massive house, big SUVs, 15-min commute, lakeside cottage, light aircraft at nearby grass strip etc. However, you cannot do all that in the big cities.

Current Prov Govt legislation (Bill 158) that will force me to renounce my hard-earned professional qualifications in Ontario or face a $10,000 fine or 6 months in prison(!!!). N.B. THE VERY SAME QUALIFICATIONS THAT IMMIGRATION CANADA GAVE ME SKILLED WORKER STATUS FOR 5 YEARS AGO!!!!!

So would I do it again? Yes, because my personal Pros still far outweigh the Cons. A week back in Europe is always enough to convince me we made the right choice.

However, I cannot stress it enough - do it with your eyes open. Nowhere is a bed of roses. If you have problems where you are, they are unlikely to vanish with a change of scenery. As they say, 'you're still the same person when you wake up in the morning.'

Best of luck!