PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comet Cover-up
Thread: Comet Cover-up
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2002, 11:04
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 300 Likes on 168 Posts
Interesting programme, well presented I thought; as you say having Bill Gunston, John Cunningham etc, certainly added an authoritative element to the programme, unlike some that I've seen which seem to be mostly supposition by ignorant sensationalists.

I think as Mike Ramsden was quoting Bishop about the rivetting rather than Redux that it must be fact and unlikely to be a case of Chinese whispers! Though I take your point...

DH also had the Albatross break its back pre-war... I'd take issue with the idea that DH had no experience with large passenger aircraft as the Albatross and Flamingo fitted that bill. The public could be excused for thinking that the Mosqutio was the largest aicraft they'd built up to that point.

I didn't think the take-off accident was due to over-rotation, the film they showed of the one sinking back seemed if anything to have under-rotated - it seemed a very flat take off - a later shot showed one taking off with the nose well up. Thoughts anyone?

Didn't BOAC also lose one which was deemed to have been due to a screw backing out and jamming the attitide indicator, leading to too high a rate of climb and a stall? Just wondered if that was actually one of the three accidents referred to last night, as I'd always thought two had pranged due to structural failure. As I recall the three were near Elba, near Stromboli and somewhere in India. The stuck attitude indiactor might have been later on a IV though...

Cheers

Last edited by treadigraph; 14th Jun 2002 at 11:08.